Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Book Review: An Acceptable Offer by Mary Balogh

I just finished Mary Balogh's "An Unacceptable Offer" and it was, how do I say it, lovely.





Lovely in a way that it would make you smile and gasp at the same time.

I love how the characters developed, although to be honest, I was expecting something heart breakingly dramatic to happen. Instead, the progression of the story was gentle. It was easy to
get lost to the story of the book.

Jane, the main character is nearly on the shelf. She was also described as ordinary and often compared to the beauty that is her cousin.Still, she received four proposals and turned down two-including that from the man she deeply harbors affection with!

I can understand her though, certain circumstances (I will try not to spoil the story, I swear) had given this sensible hero a backbone on refusing such offers. She did accept the third proposal and fourth one though.

Viscount Fairfax whom the book describes as incredibly handsome with a deep love for his children was looking for a marriage of convenience but not love itself. You see, he is looking for a mother and not exactly a wife (a rather noble yet ordinary pursuit, if I might add).

This is no whirl-wind kind of love story and ff course it ends happily, but the path to its happy ending is interesting in its own way. You might say that love stories are over-rated and I really do agree with you. However, love stories are over-rated for a reason-they make you fall in love with the idea of romance and happily ever after and this book is no exception.

An Unacceptable Proposal makes you believe of that unrequited love can possibly be returned. It makes you value yourself. It makes believe that you who you are and that you should accept no less
for yourself. What I'm trying to say is that this books teaches you not to devalue yourself.

A book with a good plot, characters and good writing is a break from the sometimes distressing reality. It can also give a glimpse of another world completely different from what we contend daily. And that's what this book does, it makes you happy.  :)


p.s Forgive me for not properly giving you a very detailed account or impression of the book, I'm just starting out and I'm fairly not used in doing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment